[Zope-dev] how do you run the zc.buildout test suite?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 17 15:23:39 EDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> How is zc.buildout meant to have its tests  run?

It's a bit of a mess, because of bootstrapping issues.

> On Mac OS X, in a checkout from svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/
> zc.buildout/trunk
>
> Doing:
>
> $ python2.4 bootstrap/bootstrap.py
> $ bin/buildout

For working on buildout, use dev.py rather than bootstrap.py.

> results in:
>
> [chrism at vitaminf-2 zc.buildout]$ bin/buildout
> Develop: '/Users/chrism/projects/zc.buildout/zc.recipe.egg_'
> Develop: '/Users/chrism/projects/zc.buildout/.'
> While:
>  Installing.
>  Getting section test2.3.
>  Initializing part test2.3.
>  Getting section python2.3.
> Error: The referenced section, 'python2.3', was not defined.

Gah. I'm getting a similar error.  This is a result of an attempt of
mine to build multiple test runners at once, but it's too brittle.
I've reverted back to a simpler configuration.

> And doing:
>
> $ python2.4 setup.py test -q
>
> gives me a raft of test failures, which leads me to believe the
> tests weren't meant to be run this way.

They aren't.  I added the associated setup arguments before I learned
how they work,

> What's the right way to run the test suite?

Make sure you svn up to get the latest configuration, then:

   python dev.py
   bin/test

Unfortunately there's a test failure in the rmtree module for me.
I'll get after the author of  that module.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation