[Zope-dev] Re: Buildout site

Ethan Jucovy ejucovy at openplans.org
Fri Jul 18 01:33:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> Just FYI, the final resting place for this information will likely be
>> inside a more general documentation website, the address buildout.zope.org
>> is just a temporary resting place.
>
> Just to make a discussion Jens and I were having in the background explicit.
>
> While it's good if this appears in the "Zope stack" documentation site,  I
> think it's also important for there being a separate identity for the
> buildout project. This goes beyond documentation, but also talks about a
> developer community and invites people to use it in their own projects, as
> well as contribute. I also think an overview of recipes could be a good part
> of this.
>
> I think a separate website is part of such an identity. Other things that
> could help establish an identity are things like a logo.

I think this is a really fantastic idea.  To speak broadly, it's great
that you're so mindful of the real importance of identity -- in both a
"branding" sense and simply in the sense of being a self-contained
entity -- for the development of software communities and software
itself.  Buildout is a standalone product independent of the Zope
framework or libraries, but that's only meaningful if it actively
establishes an independent identity in people's minds.

I think you're doing a really great thing for the community by paying
attention to these issues.  So, in short, thanks.  :)

Cheers,
Ethan