[Zope-dev] Re: AW: Annoying: Download error: unknown url type: svn -- Some packages may not be found!

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Wed May 7 05:17:27 EDT 2008

Radim Novotny, on 2008-05-07:
> Roger Ineichen napsal(a):
>> Hi David
>>
>>> Betreff: [Zope-dev] Annoying: Download error: unknown url
>>> type: svn -- Some packages may not be found!
>>>
>>> Which package is emitting the Download error: unknown url
>>> type: svn -- Some packages may not be found! Its quite
>>> annoying and I have been seeing it crop up in a few builds.
>>> Anyone else seeing this. Many thanks.
>>
>> I see this too. Try the buildout debug option, probably this
>> will you give a better output.
>
> I have got the same error today. buildout -vvvv was not sufficient so I
> added print output to setuptools/package_index.py and discovered this
> message is caused by z3c.form:

The same happens for lovely.recipe:

http://pypi.python.org/simple/lovely.recipe

What is considered to be good practice here?  For example this is in
the setup.py of grokproject:

    url='https://launchpad.net/grok',
    download_url='svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grokproject/trunk#egg=grokproject-dev',

Looking at the simple cheese shop page:

http://pypi.python.org/simple/grokproject

I see that the home page url for all released versions is the
launchpad url which is probably fine.  But the download url is also
the same for every release that I checked, namely the trunk#egg, which
does not look like a good idea.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/