[Zope-dev] [Fwd: Zope Tests: 4 OK, 2 Failed]

Benji York benji at zope.com
Sat Nov 29 13:21:00 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> I did notice that revision 92597, whose log message was "Revert to an
> older zope.testing. New one is way too new", also bumpted
> zope.testbrowser from 3.4.2 to 3.5.1.  Reverting to 3.4.2 doesn't get
> the tests to pass, however.

When this topic came up a few weeks ago I looked at the zope.testbrowser
tests and they passed (IIRC) on both the trunk and 3.5.1 branches, so
I'm not sure what's going on here... I just reran trunk and 3.5.1 and
both pass, so I'm still confused.

> I started to look at the zope.testbrowser failures, but gave up when I
> discovered the dependency snarl which its tests create:  running the
> tests pulls in *all* of zope.app, including even rotterdam!

I suspect our old friend zope.app.zcmlfiles is the culprit there.  I
don't think it'd be too hard to reduce the test dependencies.  I'm also
not particularly motivated to do so either. ;)

> Note that this means that any other package which wants to use
> zope.testbrowser to run functional tests also suffers, transitively,
> from the hairball.

Not exactly.  The "test" extra is only needed for zope.testbrowser's
tests.  To use testbrowser in a functional test the base dependencies
should do it.

Well, not exactly; I just noticed that zope.app.testing would also be
required, but you have to depend on that to do functional tests anyway.
I'll look into making that dependency explicit.  It'll probably mean
adding a "zope" extra that no one will use because things work without
it anyway.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer