[Zope-dev] Plone vs. Zope2 was: Re: naming Zope

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Thu Apr 9 08:04:35 EDT 2009

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> So it's highly likely that Zope 2.12 is the last release of Zope2 that
>> Plone is going to use. Maybe a Zope 2.13 once Python 2.7 is released
>> might be of interest to Plone. But otherwise I don't see any reason for
>> a new Zope 2 feature release anymore from the Plone perspective.
>
> Zope2 is the only game in town, as far as appservers go.

I don't see that Plone needs an appserver anymore. A "framework" plus
the application code on top is more than enough.

>> Plone is going to continue to use selected Zope libraries as everyone
>> else, but use Repoze or just general Python packages from all over.
>> Personally I want to move Plone from zope.i18n to Babel for example. We
>> are not bound by names or frameworks in our package choices.
>
> Note that unless you scrap the entire model of a Plone site as an
> application object hosted inside an appserver, you won't have a choice
> except to run atop Zope2:  the Z3 appserver is going to be even more
> moribund a year from now than it is today.

I don't want to switch to another application server and certainly not
"Zope 3". The notion of a Plone site being a local instance inside the
application server is already blurry. From what I see today, we will
slowly move away from it. WSGI configuration is going to be application
global, more configuration and behavior will be based on things simply
being available on sys.path. What Plone will get is a notion of a
"website" or "subsite" inside the application with a much smaller
configuration aspect to it. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I assume the
"Plone Site" object is going to be optional in Plone 5 (two or three
years from now).

Hanno