[Zope-dev] People in the "Zope 3" and "ZMI" teams

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Apr 21 08:11:26 EDT 2009

Hey,

Roger Ineichen wrote:
[snip]
> Can you tell a little bit about what you mean with tests succeed?
> Should the test in the existing package succeed? But this whould
> mean that the old packages we move the zmi parts from needs to depend
> on the new zmi.core package.
>
> Should the old zope.app.* package depend on the new zmi.core package?
> (I think not)

The idea is that the old zope.app.* packages are there for backwards
compatibility. If you use a modern setup, you will not need them and can
just rely on zmi.* directly.

Concerning the tests however, they should also be moved to zmi.* and not
remain in zope.app.*

> - move the zmi part from a zope.app.* package to
>   the new zmi.core.* package.
>
> - make sure the test pass in both packages. The zmi
>   test should all get moved to the new zmi.core.* package
>   Probably enhance the tests since the zmi part was not very
>   well tested.
>
> - release the zmi.core package after each package move
>   or at least before the zope.app.* package get released
>
> - bump up the zope.app.* package version (full not partial)
>   e.g. 3.5.1 to 3.6.0
>
> Not sure if the above is correct. Please change if not.
> It is at least only correct if we break BBB and move the zmi
> completly out of all zope.app packages to zmi.core.
>
> And probably we should also implement a testing layer setup
> which all test in zmi.core can share/use.
>

> Regards
> Roger Ineichen

> Or should we break BBB and let people know that they have to install
> zmi.core for zmi support? (I think so)

That's an alternative. It would break people's code that depends on
extending the ZMI immediately, but we could decide we can live with that.

> If so, then the test should succeed in the new zmi.core packages, right?

Yes, the tests for the ZMI should be moved no matter what we do.

> Can you write down some comment how we sould do the refactoring
> like:

[snip it would be good to have this as a document somewhere. I can add
it to the zope toolkit documentation if someone writes it]

Regards,

Martijn