[Zope-dev] Who uses request.getPositionalArguments()?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Jun 9 10:02:00 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> I've stumbled over this by accident, but it seems that
> getPositionalArguments() in zope.publisher.base.BaseRequest
> always returns an empty value (at least, there are no tests in which
> it has a non-empty value), and it is also not overridden by any of the
> request subclasses in zope.publisher.
>
> I still haven't quite wrapped my head around the whole publishing
> machinery, but this strikes me as a little strange, nonetheless.
>
> Could somebody enlighten me why this is so?

I think this may be a remnant of Zope 2's version of the publisher. The method
should be used in mapply() to provide the correct arguments to the method to
be called at the end of traversal, but these days we usually do not implement
methods that expect any arguments, in fact the common case is this:

class View(BrowserView):

  def __call__(self):
       return ...

Regards,