[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:03:59 EST 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> What is going to make us more effective is:
>
> * a recognition of current reality, i.e. the Zope Framework is not the
> same as the Zope 3 application server and it serves a far wider audience.
>
> * leadership

I really couldn't agree more. There's unfortunately a bit of a
leadership vacuum in the Zope community.

I think Tres and Chris are suggesting we focus leadership around
individual packages or sets of packages, and Martijn is suggesting we
have something a bit broader focusing on all of Zope. I think the two
are not necessarily mutually exclusive. And I'd take any leadership over
none at all.

Plone, by the way, had a similar problem, and solved it by creating "the
framework team". This is a rolling body of people who are responsible
for putting out calls for and reviewing improvements proposals. They
basically report to the release manager, who makes the final call. The
release manager is nominated by the framework team, confirmed by the
Plone Foundation, and given a small stipend for his troubles.

> If you say we shouldn't maintain a known good set, then other systems
> building on top of this will need to maintain their independent lists
> all by themselves, and there's less chance that Zope 2's, Zope 3's and
> Grok's list will agree. I think such an agreement is a good idea.

+1

Martin