[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 3 11:48:07 EST 2009

Christian Theune wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 02:35 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> * leadership could help sustain efforts like "we want the Zope Framework
>> to run on Jython" and make detailed decisions based on this. Nobody
>> right now can really decide on this.
>
> Anecdote: Our current Jython story (due to last GSOC) is having lots of
> conditional imports sprinkled all over the code base with an 'if
> sys.platform == "java"'. For some reason there was no discussion about
> that and we even didn't get enough stop-energy in my POV. ;)

Yeah, that was a seriously disfunctional Summer of Code project. In that
case I did encourage communication very much from our end. Those
checkins were some form unilateral "week after the deadline" rescue
effort on the student's part so that he'd get paid. Whether he got away
with it I don't know, as the PSF was in charge of that project in the end.

This shows that even if you have people on top of things (I saw the
danger signals in this project *way* ahead of time) it still can go
wrong. :)

Regards,

Martijn