[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 3 12:20:08 EST 2009

Paul Everitt wrote:
> On 3/2/09 10:13 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> We recognised that there was a problem in trying to make sure we
>> represented the interests of various stakeholders, and that we needed
>> someone to think "big picture" in terms of what technologies we adopted
>> and how we used them.
>
> Just to be clear, I believe the Plone framework team has specifically
> disavowed management of Plone's "strategy".  Meaning, they approve PLIPs
> on a release-to-release basis.  They don't make edicts like "replace
> Archetypes".
>
> This was the vacuum that the "strategic planning summit" advertised
> itself as addressing.
>
> I think this clarification is informative to Martijn's discussion.

That's interesting indeed.

It's hard to know whether Plone's method of a "strategic planning
summit" is working on the long term as you only had one as far as I
know. (though I did hear positive news about it). I do have the
impression the framework team strategy works reasonably well; it's been
operating for about 2 releases now?

So you have one mechanism to set long term directions (and I think
another one, namely Alexander Limi), and another to execute these long
term directions and make smaller decisions in the light of them.

In reality of course a lot of micro decisions can result in a long term
direction, so there's a gray area there.

For the Zope Framework I think it's more important to get the day to day
decision making working in our community than it is to do the long term
setting of directions and planning. We do have some form of long term
direction emerging that we can recognize often enough (though we can do
a lot better still). The core problem in my mind is the day to day
decision making and channeling of energies.

I myself am inclined, for the Zope Framework, to start with the day to
day team. I think it can deduce at least some long term directions from
the community on the mailing list and usage in practice (also by
consultation). We could amend such a process with a strategic planning
summit construction, later.

Regards,

Martijn