[Zope-dev] dropping Python 2.4 support in the Zope Toolkit?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue May 5 12:02:29 EDT 2009

On 5/5/09 11:16 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> [snip]
>> Given those dates the most commonly used Plone version will be based on
>> Python 2.4 up until end of next year by the looks of it.
>
> What about implementing the dropping of Python 2.4 compatibility in
> september, then? To give you guys a bit more time?

Were this some other project, I'd ask the Plone folks or some other group that
cares about Zope packages under 2.4 to set up a buildbot that tested "the ZTK"
under Python 2.4.  Then I'd ask the same folks to to pay attention to the
buildbot output and fix issues exposed by the buildbot over time.

Then, as a community, decree that all packages in the ZTK should be kept 2.4
compatible until such time as the decree is lifted, but don't make each
developer test using Python 2.4 by hand.  Instead, leave that job to the
buildbot and let it catch errors.  Personally, as long as I know some code
breaks under 2.4 because someone put some 2.5-ism in it, I usually find it
pretty easy to fix.

Once the decree is lifted, 2.4-ifying code becomes a negotiation between the
committer and the folks who want that bit of code to still be 2.4-compatible.
There doesn't need to be a "d-day" where everything becomes 2.4-incompatible.

- C