[Zope-dev] allow-picked-versions=false in ztk.cfg?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:58:38 EDT 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> If we do that, I'd also suggest we use the 'buildout.dumppickedversions'
>>>   extension.
>> Does that make sense? After all, if we say allow-picked-version is
>> false, there never will *be* any picked versions to dump. Or am I
>> misunderstanding something?
>
> It doesn't make sense. With "allow-picked-version = false" you will
> always get an error telling you which package and which version has
> been picked but wasn't pinned. Once your build succeeds
> buildout.dumppickedversions jumps in and will always present you with
> an empty list.

Right, sorry, I must've been tired when I read this. In my mind, I read
it as "disallow-picked-versions = false". :)

> Given that buildout.dumppickedversions is GPL whose use is
> questionable in svn.zope.org,

Surely, using the extension isn't an issue. It's just referenced by name
and installed. That's like saying you can't use gcc (which I assume is
GPL licensed) to build C extensions.

 > I'd just stick with using
> allow-picked-version in buildout.cfg.

Right. One is not an alternative to another. But it's useful to know
what got picked, if you allow things to get picked, and it can be hard
to pin everything always. Sometimes, you want to get newer versions
precisely so that you can test new things without having to know that a
new release is available and update your pins.

Anyway, different issue.

Martin