[Zope-dev] working with different requirements depending on python version

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 12:54:27 UTC 2012

Hi All,

While trying to debug another problem, I re-ran some Jenkins jobs for
two of my packages, which promptly failed under Python 2.5:

http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk/job/testfixtures-buildout/
http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk/job/checker-buildout/

Now, the issue here is that zope.interface 4.0 and above no longer
supports Python 2.5:

http://jenkins.simplistix.co.uk/job/checker-buildout/PYTHON=2.5,label=linux/15/console
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.interface/4.0.0

That's fine, but I'd like the above projects to continue 2.5 support for
the time being.

The simple solution would be to add a versions section to the buildout here:

https://github.com/Simplistix/checker/blob/master/buildout.cfg

...and pin the versions in the tox.ini here:

https://github.com/Simplistix/checker/blob/master/tox.ini

...however, that doesn't give the correct result. The version
requirement is "use the latest version of all packages that work with
the Python version under test" and the changes I've suggested would mean
that on Python 2.6 and 2.7, the latest version of zope.interface
wouldn't be used.

What makes this even more "interesting" is that zope.interface isn't a
direct requirement of either of these projects, it's a dependency of a
dependency in both cases.

How have other people solved this?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk