[Zope-dev] working with different requirements depending on python version

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Jun 30 17:12:07 UTC 2012

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.interface/4.0.0

> That's fine, but I'd like the above projects to continue 2.5 support
> for the time being.
>
> The simple solution would be to add a versions section to the buildout
> here:
>
> https://github.com/Simplistix/checker/blob/master/buildout.cfg
>
> ...and pin the versions in the tox.ini here:
>
> https://github.com/Simplistix/checker/blob/master/tox.ini
>
> ...however, that doesn't give the correct result. The version
> requirement is "use the latest version of all packages that work with
>  the Python version under test" and the changes I've suggested would
> mean that on Python 2.6 and 2.7, the latest version of zope.interface
>  wouldn't be used.
>
> What makes this even more "interesting" is that zope.interface isn't a
>  direct requirement of either of these projects, it's a dependency of
> a dependency in both cases.
>
> How have other people solved this?

For repoze.sendmail, I did two fixups for Python 2.5:

- - I changed 'install_requires' in setup.py based on sys.version_info

  https://github.com/repoze/repoze.sendmail/blob/master/setup.py

- - I pinned the verstion in tox.ini:

  https://github.com/repoze/repoze.sendmail/blob/master/tox.ini

Tres.