[Zope-dev] Content Type Meta tag stripping in zope.pagetemplate

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Tue Mar 27 10:36:19 UTC 2012

Am 27.03.2012, 12:16 Uhr, schrieb Fred Drake <fred at fdrake.net>:

> In other words... "the web" will continue to thrive on hacks and
> sniffing data to
> support users' expectations in spite of the data on "the web".
> I appreciate the motivation (it's not the users' fault the content
> provider can't
> get it right), it saddens me that there will no end of quirks-mode-like
> data
> interpretation.  And that after this many years, we still can't get
> content-type
> and encodings straightened out.

True but I think that the problem was largely of our own making in not
coming up with "one, preferably only one" way of handling this. Re-reading
Marius' post I was struck by the whole idea of the http-server transcoding
the content on the fly. Now, I've never looked at this in detail but have
any of the major webservers ever done that? Having struggled in the past
with "weird" encoding errors limited to Safari and IE only, probably
caused by me not handling the encode/decode chain properly in my code but
still left staring unbelievingly at a long and confusing traceback and
yearning for an easy to way "to do the right thing" which in my view
should be the webserver trying to serve up UTF-8.

I guess, that years ago we had to worry much more about encodings
(latin-1, windows-1252, mac-roman, IBM code pages, and whatever unix was
doing).

I've been reading about http 2.0 coming up - is this going to improve the
matter?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark