[Zope-dev] ZCA for javascript

jp at nexedi.com jp at nexedi.com
Wed May 22 05:25:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

> I instantly thought, we could do ZCA in Javascript.  And while not many
> people likes ZODB servers, they all love Javascript clients.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?   Is anyone interested in doing
> something like this?

Some companies incl. Nexedi are working on this: renderjs.org

It is intended to be a component architecture in Javascript in which :
- a component is defined as an HTML page (reusable)
- interaction between components is defined inside interaction components (reusable)
- anything else (inter-component communication, metadata) is based on typed links
- and it can support of form of JS code isolation (https://gitorious.org/nexedi/renderjs/commits/safejs) which was created at INRIA

renderjs.org combined with j-io.org will be used to make a pure JS offline office suite and the new UI of ERP5. Possibly, we will make an alternative UI to ZMI based on it.

renderjs.org is not yet alpha
j-io.org is alpha
safejs is not yet alpha

> What do you think????

True component architectures are missing in JS world and some useful initiatives (ex. AMD) are too much inspired by static typed systems to fully leverage the dynamic nature of JS.

Replicating ZCA or other component architectures to JS has other issues: it could leads to a programming style which could be rejected by JS communities, for good or for bad reasons.

Regards,

JPS.