[Zope-PAS] proposal: IUserAdder plugins

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Sat May 5 10:27:21 EDT 2007

On Fri, 04 May 2007 14:54:59 -0400, Miles <miles at jamkit.com> wrote:

> I seem to be generating a sizable proportion of the traffic on this
> list!  Apologies in advance for another email...
>
> My use case is as follows:
>
> I have a zope website, a php forum and blog that make up my site, each
> with their own user databases.  Whenever users register through the zope
> site (I have removed links so they cannot register elsewhere), I want to
> create corresponding user accounts for them in the database for the
> forum and the blog.
>
> However, when a user is created, PAS runs through all the plugins
> implementing the IUserAdder interface, but once a plugin indicates that
> it created a user, it proceeds no further.

right, which makes sense to me, you don't really want it to create
multiple users, shadowing each other for login purposes. only one gets to
login. it sounds like you just want to have your custom useradder plugin
ordered higher than the default zodb user plugin.

> I was expecting it to pass the details onto all the plugins, to give
> each a chance to create any additional information the plugin needs, and
> to avoid having to produce a succession of plugins.  In the same way
> that the properties plugins each get to provide a separate property
> sheet, rather than just returning the first one.

property providers are separate then adder, and each property provider is
called for a principle.

> I would like to change this so all IUserAdder plugins get a chance to
> fire - does anyone have an opinion on it?

-1, semantically makes no sense.

-kapil