[ZWeb] Re: optional registration/info during install

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:23:16 -0400

Howdy folks.  I've been mulling over an idea that I think might fly with
privacy people, provide real value for end users, and real value for
zope.org's goal of estimating the size of the zope universe.

Imagine if the future of Zope downloads was to get the basics of the
binary setup for your platform.  The first login provided a
configuration screen that asked for a couple of things:

1) The login name for your Zope.org account.

2) The "name" of the site that you're configuring and an optional
description.

Clicking "Next" connects to your Zope.org member folder, and creates a
new "site" in a "sites" folder.  The user gets back a page that shows
all the updates and new packages available for install.  You might also
be given an option to download documentation updates.

Of course this presumes that, in the future, Zope is able to do "ZSync"
types of operations on Zope products.  But presuming that, I think this
would give a pretty seriously attractive reason to use the facility.  We
could increase the value by giving people the option to be emailed when
the packages they were using were updated.

The only thing that would be "centralized" is the label that you chose
for your site and the packages/revisions that you installed.  And tying
it to your zope.org membership simply ties it to a system of privacy
that people are already used to.

Thoughts?

--Paul