[ZWeb] Howdy

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:48:48 -0500

On Friday 30 November 2001 12:31 pm, Paul Everitt allegedly wrote:
> Two points:
>
> 1) Is it possible to merge Metazope and zope.org, combining the
> leadership from both efforts?

The best part of metazope were:

1) the people (Alan Runyan (aka runyaga), Phil Harris and some others)

2) The CMF skin that Alan developed (plone).

I'm sure he would entertain contributing that to the fray. I've cc'd him to
see if he's listening...

> 2) As for scripting, if we did (1) and the new leadership agreed (and
> moreover, would do the sysadmin to support it), then I'll accede to
> their wishes.  As long as the commitment was there to support the
> decision (otherwise it's a hit-and-run and were left holding the bag).

Well if the site is open to community for contributions, then for me
scripting is no biggie. Perhaps the availability of ZPT would suffice. Anyone
else care to chime in on the scripting front for new.zope.org?

> --Paul
>
> Casey Duncan wrote:
> > Ok, I'm here.
> >
> > A couple of months ago a bunch of us conspired to create "our own"
> > zope.org type site, which was coined metazope. Unfortunately, none of us
> > were really content people (we were malcontent people 8^), so we had a
> > great site (due largely to the help of some wonderful community members
> > other than myself, I just struck the match) but it has died pretty much
> > due to lack of time. Beside the fact that right after the site went up, I
> > did a cross-country family move and changed jobs, launched a site that I
> > get paid to do (with Zope of course) and all that good stuff, but i
> > digress.
> >
> > The point is that I would love to see zope.org grow and improve. It is a
> > massive site, and as such, is a natural showcase for why Zope is the
> > great system that it is.
> >
> > Although moving the site to the CMF is a natural move, I share some of
> > the regrets that "scripting for the rest of us" on zope.org will die off.
> > Damn, no more inifinite loops on my member home page 8^)!  I would like
> > to say that I would support zope.org as a site of, for and by the
> > community (ZC being part of the community naturally). So that would imply
> > that we all get off our duffs and pitch in to this thing.
> >
> > I'll leave my ideas about specific things I would like for later
> > messages, but to start I would like to request that ZC, like with the
> > Zope core CVS, would "open" the development of zope.org to the community.
> > As a commitless commiter on the other side of things (zope-coders), I
> > would say that you'll probably get more from me right now on zope.org
> > then the zope core just because that's where my head is at presently.
> > Tomorrow, well that's another story.
> >
> > So, what needs to be done to light this candle?

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org