[ZWeb] What are the plans for cmf.zope.org?

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:14:27 +0100

Ausum Studio wrote:
> [...]

I'm going to try to decipher your point.  But you didn't at all respond
to Sidnei's point.

Instead of complaining about the volunteering from the Plone supporters,
volunteer and do it your way.

Until some of us (me included) start *doing* something instead of
talking, then we don't have enough credibility to criticize Sidnei.

Sidnei thinks he can do something better/faster/cheaper using Plone.
Remember, we're still in alpha mode, so if all of the customers think
it's ugly, or slow, or some mutant baby spawned in hell...they'll tell us!

If however, people like the Plone version and consider it an
improvement, well that's good news, right?  After all, we made the
customer happy, right?

I'd like to make another point.  There are *major* changes to test in
this alpha: Python 1->2, Zope 2.3.frankenstein -> 2.today,
NeoPTKCMF->CMF, DTML -> page templates, a new hosting environment, new
content types, a migration script, ...

Plone represents less than 3% of the stuff to evaluate.  If you are
committted to helping nzo, I think that you can "hold your nose" and
participate.  And if that 3% proves unpalatable to our customers, proves
stupid to support, and your ideas are better, it just might happen.

If that 3% is unbearable, then I don't know what to tell you.

>>| I opt to be constructive and ask to ZC: What are the plans for
>>| cmf.zope.org? Would you accept the effort of members of the community
>
> and
>
>>| let us to take over the redesign of that portal?  :)
>>
>>As far as *I* know, there are no plans to make any change on the way
>>cmf.zope.org looks/works. It is supposed to be a place for the CMF
>
> developers
>
>>'eat their own dogfood'. Thats why it is called 'CMF DogBowl'.
>>
>>I thought you said that you liked the CMF. Why would cmf.zope.org need a
>>redesign if it represents CMF at its best?
>

> I like the CMF framework, and certainly cmf.zope.org doesn't represent it
> at its best. It can be improved.

I can promise you, nobody will stop you.  There have been public calls
for help over the years.  Will you contribute?

--Paul