[ZWeb] Front Page & Other Changes

Mark mark at zopemag.com
Wed Aug 25 03:36:25 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Aug 25, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> Because that to me is now how a "community" site should work for one
>> and because it seems really unprofessional.
>> I don't like quick and dirty.
>
> I don't like total stagnation.
> I'm not advocating "quick and dirty" so much as "responsible action"...

Cool.

>> I think you are on shaky ground with that opinion -- take for example:
>> plone.org
>
> ...which doesn't start breaking things down by country, type of event,
> etc...

I'm certainly not against a crappier Events box in the short term. My
point is that by asking just a little bit more
data from people (such as the country of the event) we can build some
really cool useful stuff at a later date.

I just completely disagreed with your point that people wouldn't use an
Events type. Just look at current News Items.
Their are always a few events in that que. And sometimes (when news
days or weeks are slow) they might be in their longer than the event
itself (and that's not useful).

> How about where the current "blue boxes" in the middle are?
> I really like the news where it is now, and I think the new product
> releases section below it is more important that events...
>
>> Don't agree with your conclusion. But the previous attempts might now
>> have worked. Give me a weekend and I will
>> try to graffle something simple.
>
> Okay, just don't expect me to use ti if it gets in the way...

It's this kind of a statement that pisses me off. What ever genuine
attempt people make to improve Zope.org I would expect people to give
it a try. If it doesn't work I would expect people to suggest
improvements and if that doesn't work it along with hopefully many
other things we try -- will at the very least have been a valiant
attempt.

Cheers,

Mark