[ZWeb] Zope Book typog. conventions

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue Jan 6 15:32:07 EST 2004

Hello list,

I'm doing some cleanup on the Zope Book (2.6) and I noticed that the
"typographical conventions", ie. using italics for new terms and
fixed-with for code etc. aren't followed too closely. Call me anal but
this bothers me.

Partly this may be because the definition of those conventions is a
little ambiguous. From the Preface:

"""
Conventions Used in This Book

This book uses the following typographical conventions:

  Italic
     Italics indicate variables and names and is also used to introduce
new terms.

Fixed width
     Fixed width text indicates objects, commands, hyperlinks, and code
listings.
"""

Python and Zope don't make much difference between "variables" and
objects; also its not clear what "names" should be.

I'd like to change this to:

Italic -- new terms and UI interface elements

Fixed width -- variables, objects, attributes, properties, commands,
hyperlinks, code listings

and fixup the typography in the book according to this.

Comments?

  - peter.