[ZWeb] volunteers wanted! zope foundation website as guinea pig

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:01:53 EDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It's nearing september, and I'd like to start some work on zope.org, in
> particular www.zope.org/foundation. I'm looking for volunteers to help.
>
> As you all probably know, we have a Zope Foundation, of which I'm a
> board member (representative for the committer members). Aroldo
> Souza-Leite is also on the board as chairman.

Well, as already mentioned, I'd love to help. That said I'm not sure I
have much i can do on this particular task, but maybe. :)

> I propose letting www.zope.org/foundation point to a Apache directory,
> where we maintain HTML files. We will then generate such HTML files from
> restructured text we maintain in the zope SVN repository, using a simple
> script that drives docutils.

I'm torn between on one hand, the sillyness of not using Zope + what I
think is a bit tricky from a maintaining point of view and on the
other hand, the benefit of having things versioned.

I have worked with the codespeak stuff, and I can't really say I like
it, although it makes sense when it comes to code, with the automatic
tarball generation form release tags and all that.

In the end, what I care most about it that things happen now. So if
this is faster than setting up a plone/cps/silva site, then by all
means, go ahead.

> There's one alternative to this approach that will also work on the
> short term: a volunteer that's willing to work with zope.org and
> integrate the layout and text and structure we want into existing
> zope.org infrastructure. If someone volunteers to work on this, I'd be
> happy to do it that way as well. Does anyone volunteer?

No. :-)

However, integrating that layout into something that can be used
primarily on Plone (or CPS. Or maybe both, with CPSSkins) usable for
any *.zope.org microsites seems to be to be a worthwhile task.

> I hope we can all have this together in a couple of weeks,

Weeks? Wasn't it working yesterday? :-)

On 8/22/06, Andrew Sawyers <andrew at sawdog.com> wrote:
> What's up with zopefoundation.org - especially since it's changed since I
> looked at it yesterday?  :P)

Yeah, I second that question. :^) It seems to me that the fastest way
of doing this is doing what was done yesterday, and redirecting
www.zope.org/foundation there.