[ZWeb] volunteers wanted! zope foundation website as guinea pig

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Aug 23 07:02:27 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> I propose letting www.zope.org/foundation point to a Apache directory,
>> where we maintain HTML files. We will then generate such HTML files from
>> restructured text we maintain in the zope SVN repository, using a simple
>> script that drives docutils.
>
> I'm torn between on one hand, the sillyness of not using Zope + what I
> think is a bit tricky from a maintaining point of view and on the
> other hand, the benefit of having things versioned.
>
> I have worked with the codespeak stuff, and I can't really say I like
> it, although it makes sense when it comes to code, with the automatic
> tarball generation form release tags and all that.

Yes, this strategy indeed makes more sense with code (where
documentation is often maintained along with the code) than with
something like this site.

> In the end, what I care most about it that things happen now. So if
> this is faster than setting up a plone/cps/silva site, then by all
> means, go ahead.

I do think it's faster to get going with this.

[snip]
> However, integrating that layout into something that can be used
> primarily on Plone (or CPS. Or maybe both, with CPSSkins) usable for
> any *.zope.org microsites seems to be to be a worthwhile task.

That's a very welcome offer! We have a (hopefully still) standing offer
from the Plone community to host the site on the plone.org
infrastructure that we definitely need to investigate.

>> I hope we can all have this together in a couple of weeks,
>
> Weeks? Wasn't it working yesterday? :-)
>
> On 8/22/06, Andrew Sawyers <andrew at sawdog.com> wrote:
>> What's up with zopefoundation.org - especially since it's changed since I
>> looked at it yesterday?  :P)
>
> Yeah, I second that question. :^) It seems to me that the fastest way
> of doing this is doing what was done yesterday, and redirecting
> www.zope.org/foundation there.

Unfortunately it was in a hosted environment entirely separate from
zope.org or even the zope community as far as I'm aware. We also had the
impression that it seemed to offer limited content management facilities
- more facilities to maintain members and so on, but we don't have a
need for something like that just yet.

Regards,

Martijn