[Zope] - ZODB access

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:04:21 -0600

Hi all.

I'd like to know if there's a portable way to
locally access the information in the Z object
database.  By portable, I mean across future
releases of BoboPOS2/3.

One method would be to use the BCI (now Client)
interface.  BCI is very useful for testing and
debugging applications, but less useful for direct
data access.

I'd like to navigate the database from a set of root
objects in the database without being requested for
authorization info.  Read-only mode would be okay
over the short-term, but eventually I'd want to directly
modify items the database.

In Boboland, these issues were much simpler, because
the applications were almost entirely responsible for
what went into the database -- which was essentially a
glorified pickle with serialized transactions.  Now
that we're moving into an area where a large part of
the database is managed outside of the user application,
(not to mention concurrency issues) I'd be interested
the direction database access appears to be heading.

One possible departure point would be to start with
Main.py and trace its procedures, but I thought I'd
ask here first, and hear what others have to suggest.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.