[Zope] - Zope Web Sub-Site Editor

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 06:44:04 -0500

Jeremy wrote:
> First, I'll warn that I'm new to both Python and Zope.  My
> apologies... :)

Sometimes I feel the same way :^)

> I'm looking to a Zope/Python combo to create a Web Sub-Site Editor...
> I offer web reselling, and I'm attempting to put together a very low
> cost package where a user would get a web address in a subdirectory
> of my virtual domain.  Instead of setting them up with a whole new
> ftp account and password, I would like to give them an account and
> password with a Web Sub-Site Editor.

You're in luck.  This is precisely the kind of business that spawned
Zope's predecessors.

In Zope you create Folders as such:

  /Customers/
  /Customers/JonesFlorist/
  /Customers/SmithBakery/

You add user folders to JonesFlorist and SmithBakery definining their
usernames and passwords.  These people *only* exist in their branch of
the tree.  They can't go into someone else's folder.

> They could then log in to their account with a web browser, gaining
> access to a simple control panel.  I'm not looking to design anything
> too complex, actually leaning more towards simplicity and user
> understandability.  With this Web Control Panel they could (1) create
> new pages, (2) edit existing pages, (3) delete existing pages, (4)
> create sub directories within their own sub directory and (5) step in
> and out of these sub directories, maintaining the above options.
> They would NOT be able to step out of their own sub directories to
> view or edit any other directories...

Right.  While the Zope management screen does all of this, it is
probably too complex.  Since the Zope management screen is written in
Zope, it is very easy to create an alternative management screen.  We
did this for a community app we prototyped.  For our consulting work we
have often done this.

> [finally, the questions...]
>
> 1.)  Is a Python/Zope combo best suited for this type of system?
> Does anybody know a better combo?

It really is a good fit.  I can't think of any downsides, once we get
FTP working.  Letting the people have Undo means that they won't have to
bug you to get them out of a jam.

> 2.)  I've been reading through this mail list's archives, finding
> much interest in the Zen Zope and related threads...  It sounds like
> there may be some existing source code out there that accomplishes
> similar ends;  how can I get copies of this source?

If you'd like some specific help from us, send me an email.

> 3.)  Has anyone compiled a quasi guide to existing source code?
> Something a newbie as myself could refer to that links to existing
> source and briefly describes the sources' functions?  (If this
> doesn't exist, I'd be happy to start/maintain such a page;  If
> interested, email me links to your source and preferably a little
> explanation, then I will compile and put it online...  If the source
> isn't already online, email it to me and I can put it online.)

We are working on something for next week that will help structure
initiatives such as this, including sample code.

> 4.)  Is anyone familiar with the eBay "About Me" pages?  This is the
> type of system I'm interested in developing...
> <http://members.ebay.com/aw/aboutme-login.html>  NOTE:  Unfortunately
> you can't use this feature without registering with their action...
> Essentially it allows the creation of one web page from any of three
> pre-made templates.  From there you can even go into the html source
> and fine tune things...

We did something like this in our community pages, patterened after the
Koz community software.

--Paul