[Zope] - RE: ANNOUNCE: Zope 1.9b3

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:39:50 -0500

> > Aaron wrote:
> [...]
> >   http://www.zope.org/Information/QA/ZObjectDatabase
>
> I haven't actually started using Zope much yet, so I may have missed
> something -- but can you have a file object named MyDocs.pdf (as in
> this example)? What happens to the "." when this URL is translated
> into an object?
>
> --
>
>   Magnus
>   Lie
>   Hetland          www.pvv.org/arcadia <arcadia@pvv.org>

Yes, you can create file objects like "MyDocs.pdf" - or
MyDocs.pdf.zip.foo.bar.blah if you want ;^)

The "."s have no effect on URL traversal to the object. The
URL equivalent of a python-like expression such as:

  root.container1.container2.object

is:

  /root/container1/conainer2/object

For the purposes of URLS, the equivalent of the python "."
operators are the "/"s in the url. The "." characters in
the ids of objects in the URL are not meaningful during
the traversal process.

Hope this helps!

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909