[Zope] - Food for thought

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:09:26 -0500

Scott wrote:
> I'm not quite sure that there really is a solution for this
> problem, so I
> didn't add it to the bug list, but it is something to think about.

My, but you've stated it diplomatically :^)

> Can ayone think of a good way to keep DTML from infinetly looping?

Jim added changes a little over a year ago to keep an object from
calling itself.  When you mix in acquisition, though, you certainly can
get into a the situation you describe.

> We would like to be able to offer the zope managment screens to our
> customers, unfortunatly we discovered it's real easy to lock
> the server up
> with a little bit of DTML.

I've had examples where I didn't lock up the server but I locked up
Infoseek as it merrily followed my webspace into:

  www.digicool.com/site/Tabula/Tabula/Tabula/Tabula/Tabula

I can imagine their press release: "Infoseek researches discovered today
that the web grew 1 million percent...overnight!"

> Create a folder and place a document method in it
> and call it index_html. Place this line in the index html file.
>
> <!--#tree-->
> <!--#var index_html-->
> <!--#/tree-->

Hmmm, now that looks like, if not a bug, certainly an insect of some
species.  If you did:

<!--#var index_html-->

then Zope would see that you were trying to insert yourself into
yourself.  Takes the taste out of stuffing, I might add.  But it appears
the tree tag foils Zope's attempts to keep your insides firmly
segregated from you outsides.

File a bug, grasshopper.  Ten points for you, with cranberry sauce on
top.

> Then add one sub folder with nothing in it so that this
> folder will aquire
> the index_html method from the parent folder.
>
> Preheat your oven to 350, and view your document.
>
> Presto your Zope is cooked!

Bon appetit!

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations