[Zope] access to zope.com ? a bad router

Scott Robertson sroberts@codeit.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:47:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > Exodus claims that they are aware of the problem and our in
> > the process of
> > upgrading the bandwidth to their various peering points. Same
> > old story.
> > They've requested that I send them traceroutes from the troubled
> > connections. I figured we could have some fun with this, if
> > the zope list
> > is willing to help. If anybody thinks that the zope.org is
> > running slow
> > could you please e-mail a traceroute to traceroute@codeit.com.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> >

> Hmm.. the thing is traceroutes are just so useless for this kind of
> evaluation.  IMO, the best method for determining where the fault lay
> are two mtrs, one from the source to the destination and vice versa (mtr
> is a program that runs a traceoute, and then continuously pings each
> router along the route giving you a real time packet loss figure).
> Traceroutes are just slices of the problem, and without capturing both
> sides of the link over a period of time they can be interpreted to mean
> just about anything.

True, if you have acces to mtr be my guest and use it. Actually the point
of this exercise is twofold. 1). Determine which peer points are bad (not
why they're bad) 2). Give me a little more data to backup my claims (even
if that data isn't really that useful in solving the problems)

> I think Exodus is stalling on you.  My guess is they're going to take
> all your traceroutes and process them right into /dev/null.  But perhaps
> the effort will stir some action there.

This is my hope.

> Sorry to sound like a defeatest, but I have some bad memories dealing
> with any and all NSPs.

And the telco's, power companies you name it... Only thing that really
gets their attention is when you can increase the level of complaints
(sigh)

- Scott Robertson             Phone: 714.972.2299 -
- CodeIt Computing            Fax:   714.972.2399 -
-                http://codeit.com                -