[Zope] The big 3, and Zope initiatives for Linux Expo

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:39:27 -0400

Hi all,

This fits right in with Karl's post about the "big 3" components
of an effective portal site... :)

As many of you may know, we at DC are in the middle of a push
to position Zope as powerful and flexible portal-building
software. We are making progress on a number of fronts toward
this goal, and we want to make sure that what we are doing has
some visibility in the Zope community.

We will be exhibiting at the upcoming Linux Expo the week of
May 18 in Raleigh, NC - our goal for the Expo is to demonstrate
the Zope message of "unleashing potential", which means:

  o Open Source

  o Community Portal

  o Through the Web

  o Safe Delegation of Control

We plan to demonstrate this by reinventing the zope.org site,
using it as a demonstration and case-study of a portal site
that incorporates:

  o Powerful information browsing and searching

  o News items

  o Issue tracking

  o Community membership

  o Community projects

  o Personal areas that community members can maintain themselves

  o Community involvement in the form of polls and discussions

We will be building this site as a real-world example that will, in
fact, replace the current zope.org site by or shortly after the show.
Though it will certainly continue to evolve over time, we plan to
get as much of the functionality above as possible into the new site
by the Expo.

The end result will, we hope, be a site that allows much better
organization, greater community involvement, and better visibility
of projects and community resources.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909