[Zope] organizational questions

Martin Dougiamas martin@complex.curtin.edu.au
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:47:42 +0800 (WST)

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Probably some mild level of Zope Zen is needed to realize fully that
> *folders* are acquired by subfolders too -- recently I faced similar
> organizational issues as well, and used this to good effect.
>
> I had the same setup with a root folder and a number of sub folders, and
> common SQL methods in the root folder so that they were acquired. As I
> had quite a few SQL methods this started to get messy. So I made a
> subfolder called 'sql' and moved all SQL methods to that place. Now I
> have a nice and clean root folder.
>
> Zen: All the sub folders acquire this SQL folder.
>
> Of course I had to adapt my DTML documents in the subfolders from things
> like:
>
> <!--#call "insert_whatever(REQUEST)"-->
>
> to:
>
> <!--#call "sql.insert_whatever(REQUEST)"-->
>
> so it's easier to set this up the right way in the beginning.
>
> You can use the same strategy for any common documents.

I really like the sound of this, and I've been re-organising my
Zope application organisation, but I've hit a snag.

I used to call DTML documents with

  <!--#var myfunction-->

so now, since they are in a sibling folder under the root folder,
(eg /myapp) I tried:

  <!--#var myapp.myfunction-->

But it doesn't work any more - keeps giving KeyErrors.

The funny thing is that

  <!--#var "myapp.myfunction"-->

correctly returns all the raw content of the DTML document,
so it *can* find it OK.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Martin

--
### Martin Dougiamas -- Internet Agent          is == i see
### Centre for Educational Advancement