[Zope] organizational questions

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 06:45:29 -0400

Martin Dougiamas wrote:
> The funny thing is that
>
>   <!--#var "myapp.myfunction"-->
>
> correctly returns all the raw content of the DTML document,
> so it *can* find it OK.
>
> Any ideas?

The quotes switch DTML into "expr" (expression) mode.  Outside of
expressions, DTML is limited to very safe operations.  Getting
attributes (the dot) is an operation that requires the security
machinery to get involved, to make sure that you have permission.

I agree that this inconsistency is confusing, as are things like
sequence-item outside an expression and sequence_item inside an
expression.  Perhaps if we do a major overhaul of DTML (e.g. changing it
to an XML-ish syntax) we'll look for ways to make it more consistent.

--Paul