[Zope] ZODB 3 UML Model

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:07:25 -0400

Brad Clements wrote:

> On 27 Apr 99, at 8:36, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> > One of the challenges that we face is how to publish the models
> > in a form that is useful for people with just the (HTML version
> > of the) model.  How can we organize the model so that people can
> > understand the big picture (aka Zen) of the model as well as
> > the details (eg classes)?  The ZODB model represents one of our
> > first attempts at this, so feedback on how well the model communicates
> > ideas and suggestions for improvement are welcome.
>
> Well by golly you have trashed my Python project!  ;-)
>
> I was tinkering with Python code parsing stuff to automatically model
> Zope components as UML in Visio.
>
> Looks like you're doing that by hand, which is fine for me.

No, we are using Object Domain.  Object Domain uses JPython
as it's scripting language and has automatic HTML generation,
which we've enhances quite a bit.

It also has a limited reverse engineering feature that
works with Python, so, in many cases, we can get a good
start on building models from existing Python code.

> Very nice..
>
> But, would you also consider making available your Visio or MS
> Repository database so those of us with Visio can enjoy your labor
> without a gazillion clicks?

See above.  We're hopeful that some sort of UML interchange standard
(maybe XMI, http://www.omg.org/archives/orbos/msg00702.html) will
emerge.

> --
>
> Other suggestion: also unroll the html frames into a single PDF that
> reads "sorta like a book". I know that doubles the work, and the frame
> UML is very slick, but sometimes to get the big picture you really need
> to layout sheets of paper on your desk and move them around..

This is definately something I want to do.  I think I saw a PDF
module for Python a while back, so perhaps this would not be too hard.

One issue that I'm still wrestling with is that Object Domain doesn't give
control over ordering of some elements (like Package items) so it's hard to
control a linear flow through the model.

> --
>
> Wow, this is very nice! Thanks for doing this!

Thanks for the comments.  Keep em coming.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!