[Zope] access to Netscape Calendar server via LDAP from Zope

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
19 Aug 1999 21:26:07 GMT

On 18 Aug 1999 10:25:00 -0500, Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:
>Rob Page writes:
>>I just read a _little_ about Netscape Calendar server and it seems like
>>Calendar data is stored in Calender server and user data are stored in
>>LDAP.
>
>Netscape Calendar is licensed from a Montreal company called CS&T
>(www.cst.ca); working for CS&T was my first full-time job).  At the
>time it used its own custom protocol, and my impression is that the
>SDK was available for $10K.  There's an IETF group working on a
>scheduling protocol (http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/), and there's
>certainly code for this protocol in the Mozilla source tree, but I
>don't know for sure whether the Calendar Server now uses the proposed
>IETF specs instead of the custom protocol.

The IETF ICalendar apparently still isn't finished, but appears
fairly close. The iRIP spec apparently got pulled off the back
burner and numerous issues are still open with CAP.  Some commercial
ventures have produced servers which they state will be compliant
when the spec is finished.

The current Netscape calendar server is not iCalendar-compliant
(as of last week when we checked it out).

As you mentioned, Mozilla Zulu (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/)
is implementing iCalendar as it emerges. Current source is available.

kent