[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] PROPOSAL: html_quote implicit in entity-reference var tagsyntaxsyntax

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:45:29 -0400

Mauricio wrote:

> Evan Simpson wrote:
> >
> > Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > > I propose that:
> > >
> > >   &dtml-name;
> > >
> > > should be equivalent to:
> > >
> > >   <dtml-var name html_quote>
> > >
> > > Can anyone think of a case where you need the entity-reference
> > > syntax and wouldn't want html_quote?
> >
> > I had entirely forgotten that syntax.  The only time you would want your
> > text unquoted (in HTML, anyway) is if you're constructing tags or parts
> > of tags, in which case <dtml-var> should be a good substitute.
> >
> > With this change, I might actually *use* &dtml-name; instead of
> > forgetting it.
> Or, we can create a new sintax like:
> &dtml-name#html_quote;
> equivalent to:
> <!--#var name html_quote-->
>
> this can be useful to others formations as:
>
> &dtml-name#lower;
> &dtml-name#captalize;
> etc...
>
> Is this insane or a good idea?

I considered this, however, one of the goals of the entity-reference
syntax was to conform to the SGML/HTML/XML syntax for entity references.
I don't think that '#' is valid in an entity reference. Further, I don't
think you could identify a delimiter character that is valid in an
entity reference and that is not likely to occur in a name.

Jim

repeats.