[Zope] Zope vs Servlet-EJB

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:36:22 -0400

Steve Hunter wrote:

> Hello,
>  How is Zope architecture different/similar to a servlet communicating rmi
> to an EJB container ?

Ok, I just got the servlet book so I know minimal about this.  RMI is,
as I understand it, a very high level Java remote procedure call
protocol that works in an OO way to allow severlets and applets and
other things communicate with a servlet.

Zope works by turning protocol requests into object accesses and method
invocations.  Thus, the point of Zope is much like RMI, various
protocols are used to trigger method invocations in a persistent
database.

Zope can speak HTTP, FTP, XML-RPC, PCGI and WebDAV.  I could see Zope
being able to handle RMI easily, possibly even by getting JPython into
the equation.  This could be quite cool.  Volunteering?  There is also
the idea that Zope could work as a servlet, meaning that to a servlet
compatable server, Zope would look like any other servlet.  Stranger
still we could also make Zope a servlet *server*, able to run servlets
and return them, possibly to another servlet!

-Michel