[Zope] reality check

Ingo Assenmacher ingo.assenmacher@post.rwth-aachen.de
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:35:12 +0100 (MET)

Hello All!

Am 10-Dec-99 schrieb Jonothan Farr:

>> Zope has some of the worst documentation I have ever encountered.

This is sad, but almost true. Although the docs are nicely enriched with fancy
screen-shots, the information provided does not go into too much detail.
I am new to Zope and right now I am studying the docs really carefully.
Just yesterday I encountered a Problem related to <dtml-tree>-tags.
I found a section within "Zope Document Template Markup Language" entitled
"Displaying Information Hierarchically: the dtml-tree". I typed the Quick
example and it worked, ok so far. But I did not want to display all content of
the current directory (excluding folders) so I started working on that, but
that took me several hours. Sorry, but most examples do just scratch the
surface of real problems.

By the way, has anybody checked for the Index? I
found several entries within the Index pointing to wrong pages. (e.g.
"objectValues" points to page 57 (which is of course the 57th page as a
pdf-document, but objectValues is mentioned on page number 49 in print (quite
irritating))).

>> paged through it for a while and was unable to get to any actual
>> information, just marketing-esque hype.

That is of course not really true.

Regards, Ingo.