[Zope] Re: reality check - The REAL issue

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:40:36 -0500

On 12/10/99 12:30 PM, Brian Salisbury at brian@hilarious.com wrote:

> Everyone is talking about the difficulty in using Zope and how good Docs
> would help.  I believe, in part, documentation is just masking part of
> the problem.  Zope is way-to-difficult to use.  If you're a programmer,
> you can trudge through and figure out how Zope works.  But I'm not a
> programmer.  I don't know what's going on at the code-level, and
> frankly, I don't want to have to know.  If Zope is to truly adopt a wide
> user base, it's got to be easy enough that the average user and install
> and deploy Zope.  Right now, it's just to complicated for me use.  I've
> got a business to run, I don't have time to mess around with the
> particulars.

From teaching Zope to people, what I emphasise is the concepts, not the
particulars.  If people truly understand the idea of object traversal,
acquisition, etc., then the rest is pretty wrote.  Unfortunately, we've not
done a good job of making the concepts as well explained as they should be.

Chris