[Zope] Install questions

Martijn Pieters Martijn Pieters <mj@digicool.com>
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:36:30 +0100

Hello Barbara,

Wednesday, December 15, 1999, 6:29:43 AM, you wrote:
BP> Okay, I've got a few questions.

BP> Install.txt says to unzip Zope "Find a software installation directory that
BP> is *not* accessible to your web server, such as '/usr/local/dc'."

BP> On my server, public files are in public_html.  Is it suggested that I
BP> unzip Zope in the directory above public_html?

Indeed. Zope's files will not be served by your webserver, all you see
are Zope's own sources. They make up the software, not your
application.

BP> Next, the install.txt says to run install.  None of the switches seem to
BP> work. When you run 'start --help' you get completely different switches
BP> than what is stated in install.txt. I've read the file twice and tried
BP> different switches, but I can't get it to work.

Just run ./install -h for help. It will give you the same overview as
what is mentioned in INSTALL.txt

start runs the Zope server, but only after you've run install.

BP> Lastly, my next task is to get Apache and FastCGI working. Yuck! Anyway,
BP> the webserver.txt says "A version more recent than 2.2.2 is needed."  The
BP> FastCgi site says the most current version is 2.2.2.  Where can I get a
BP> higher version?

You must use the latest development snapshot. You can use 2.2.2 if you
don't mind not using any of the security features of Zope, because
then the authentication information will not be passed on to Zope.

--
Best regards,
 Martijn Pieters                    mailto:mj@digicool.com