[Zope] Linux/Redhat advice : RPMs vs Src for Zope development ?

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:13:48 +1000 (EST)

+----[ chas ]---------------------------------------------
| I find myself finally having to embrace that OS which is
| fast becoming the Microsoft of the linux world - Redhat.

No that's SCO Unix (almost literally :-)

| However, despite having these handy packages on FreeBSD,
| I've personally found it better to compile everything
| from src and ignore the packages/ports ...
| for example, I often need to recompile Python to include
| the MySQLmodule... but generally, sooner or later I need
| something adding or patching that was not in the package/port.

I used to be the same way. Install the package or the port.
You will find that if someone has a port for an addon it will
integrate nicely. You will also find that the port installs
most of the common options required.

FWIW I'm running python + mysql out of ports + Zope
(not out of ports). I have had no problems at all.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |