[Zope] Linux/Redhat advice : RPMs vs Src for Zope development ?

- bak@nstp.com.my
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:54:46 +0800

> So, my question is : If you were installing Python 1.5.2,
> Zope 2.1.1 and all the products/adapters to work with
> Postgres, MySQL, Oracle on Redhat 6.0, would you use
> the RPMs or go with src ? I know it may sound like a
> pedantic question - and that it perhaps shouldn't matter
> which you use - but from recent posts, it appears that
> sometimes RPMs work much better than src and sometimes
> they don't. And I'm just hoping I can avoid a few
> frustrating hours,

my view:
rpms provide better management.  you can install and uninstall with ease.  and
i think most rpms come with all/most parameters compiled in.

but src gives you the speed me think(correct me if i'm wrong) since it's
optimized for *your* machine..
but in real life, i went with postgres rpm, python rpm, and zope src.  i
current;y have no hands on oracle or mysql yet.

so, i think a mix of both is in order.

http://www.kedai.com.my/kk Am I Evil?