[Zope] Multiple Zope servers?

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:03:57 -0600

Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM wrote:

> Hi Zope Fans,
>
> Here are pointers to some Zope Documentation explaining several ways to
> improve Zope performance by pushing content out to static storage (file
> system) where it can be served by a "dumb" (fast!) http server.

I do this (mix Apache- and Zope- served content) but for reasons of convenience
rather than speed.  As far as I can tell, Zope on decent modern hardware (with
adequate memory) is quite capable of serving all but the largest of sites at
decent speed, and load sharing through ZEO or a SQL backend should take care of
the largest sites.

> Another item still eludes me, for I dimly recall a Tip or How-TO about
> redirecting a "file not found" error to Zope for dynamic generation of a
> page. On success, the new page can then be added to the file system, so next
> time the file will be served conventionally.

I've posted about this in the past.  With Apache, you merely add a line such
as:

ErrorDocument 404 /Zope/notfound

This assumes that you have a RewriteRule mapping '/Zope' to your root Zope
folder, and a document 'notfound' designed to handle 404 errors.

I don't use this for filesystem acceleration, but rather for dynamic error
handling.  If I can figure out where the client was trying to go, I can do
better than "It ain't thar".  Since the vast majority of my sites' pages have
some dynamic content (usually keyed on the client's login) page-by-page
cacheing is worse than useless for me.  If speed ever becomes a serious concern
for any of my sites, I'll probably use ZCache or some variant to cache bits of
expensive data and page fragments.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am