[Zope] Linux Installation blues Newbie Problems I/O Errors

Stephen Pitts smpitts@midsouth.rr.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:34:01 -0600

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 12:42:31PM -0800, CURTIS David wrote:
> Now there is not a Z2.pid file in this /var/Zope-2.1.1/var irectory.  Do I create one?  It seems that the system is trying to create a file here.
> Do I chmod 0711 .var.Zoipe-2.1.1-src/var or chmod 0600 /var/Zope-2.1.1-src/var?

chown root.root /var/Zope-2.1.1-src/var
chmod 700 /var/Zope-2.1.1-src/var

should do the trick, provided that you want to run Zope as root.
Personally, I shoved it in my home directory and run it from there,
because I'm playing around with writing my own Products.

> The line in question appears to be writting out the file , but perhaps it can't for some reason!
>
> Also, is there an effecient method to trap error messages?  I tried to use the re-directory sysmbol "python wo_pcgi.py > error.msg" but to no avail.
There are several io streams used by programs:
stdin: keyboard input (redirected by < )
stdout: console output (redirected by > )
stderr: error messages (redirected by 2> )

That way you can redirect all output of a command to a file, but still
see error messages.

python z2.py 2> zope-err.log &

or something similar will redirect all stderr output to zope.log.

python z2.py &> zope-err.log &

will redirect both stdout and stderr to zope-err.log. For more
information on this, check out the bash man page and search for
REDIRECTION. You'll find out more than you ever wanted to know :-).

Zope is already logging all requests in a form that log analyzers like
analog, et. al can get to in <Zope Dir>/var/Z2.log.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com