[Zope] ZServer/anonftp and aside: efs, emacs on NT

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:41:13 -0500

David Ascher wrote:
> I'm playing around with the latest ZServer & Zope distributions.  I can
> ftp into it (cool =) with Netscape and standard ftp. However, if I try to
> use the latest dired w/ GNU Emacs 20.3.1 on NT, I can't login, and I
> suspect it's because emacs is confusing Medusa when it comes to line
> terminations.

Hmm, I tinkered around this morning with alpha2.  With EFS I was able to
loging and create something.  Editing it crashed the server, as efs sent
a whole bunch of weird FTP commands (to create the backup file with the
tilde ending the filename, the rename, etc., and Zope can't handle
filenames with a tilde).

I couldn't try ange-ftp as I don't know how to specify an ftp port
number like efs does:

  /somebody@www.some.where#9011:/SomeFolder

I'm afraid that we'll have to do some elisp command to change the port
number for all ange-ftp sessions...

> I'd try anonymous ftp, but if I try to allow FTP access to Anonymous under
> manage/Security/, I get 'Sorry, an error occurred' and:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File ZPublisher\Publish.py, line 865, in publish_module
>   File ZPublisher\Publish.py, line 577, in publish
>     (Info: manage_changePermissions)
>   File d:\Zope\lib\python\AccessControl\Role.py, line 194, in
> manage_changePermissions
>     (Object: ApplicationDefaultPermissions)
>   File d:\Zope\lib\python\AccessControl\Permission.py, line 166, in
> setRoles
> AttributeError: manage_findOpt

Golly, that's nice :^)

I expect us to all find a *lot* of unexplored areas for alpha2 as some
of us (certainly me) are going to use the hell out of it.  I've been
waiting for this for a long, long time...

> In fact, I get that error if I try to change any of the permissions!  This
> is the latest 1.10 distribution and latest ZServer distribution.

Huh?  Is this through the web too?

BTW, Netscape Publishing kicks ass with Zope 1.10!  I tried it today and
spewed 22 files, with extensions like .txt, .htm, .html, .gif, .tgz into
a Folder, and it all worked marvelously!

Something Brian did but didn't check into this release is pretty
cool...take properties defined in META tags and turn them into Document
Properties.  This makes them searchable for things like Find and
SearchIndex.

--Paul