[Zope] [Q] About sessions and Zope

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:13:59 -0500

Max wrote:
> My problem is that I've got to be able to make users able to manage
> sessions in a transparent way: people who get in the site
> should open a
> session, create a folder, put there their material and leave
> to tehe site
> manager the task to verify what they sent and close the session.

For what it's worth, we're working on weaving the capability deeply into
Zope.  That is, having roles of users whose changes must be reviewed
before they are live or go into the site-wide catalog/index.

We've done several rough versions of this for customers and for demos.
Making it a general facility takes some thinking though.  Also, you have
to give the reviewers a productive interface for looking at a large
amount of data quite quickly.

I'm not completely convinced that we can come up with a single,
general-purpose, works-with-all-objects facility for reviewing.  If we
can, though, it will pretty radically change website development, as it
will apply to all content (calendar entries, HTML files, package
uploads, used car listings, etc.)

For now, your approach was a pretty good one.  Take the people to a
"login" page that automatically puts them in a session and perhaps
authenticates them with the cookie-authentication from UserDB.

--Paul