[Zope] - OO paradigm

jpglutting@mx3.redestb.es jpglutting@mx3.redestb.es
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:49:43 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:21:12 -0300
> From:          Paulo Eduardo Neves <neves@inf.puc-rio.br>
> To:            Michael Bernstein <mbernstein@profitscape.net>
> Cc:            zope@zope.org
> Subject:       Re: [Zope] - OO paradigm

> Michael Bernstein wrote:
> >
> > An example would be an event calendar, where events can be organized
> > chronologicaly ( Years>Months>Days) but also according to an event
> > category heirarchy (All events>entertainment>music>concerts). These
> > heirarchies only intersect at the leaf node of an individual event.
> >
> > Most product catalogs can be profitably organized using multiple
> > heirarchies as well.
> >
> > So how would you do this in Zope? you could of course represent the
> > alternative heirarchies by branching off the bottom of the primary, or
> > as folder properties, but that doesn't seem as elegant or maintainable.
> > perhaps the answer is some sort of 'pseudo heirarchy' object that could
> > be placed at or near the top of the object tree.
> >
> > What do you all think?
>
> It would be nice if Zope object hierarchy wouldn't be a hierarchy :-)
> Instead of a object tree we would have a object lattice. This is viable
> since we always have the info about which path to follow in the lattice,
> it is the object URL.
>
> It would be great for multilingual web sites. We would have paths to the
> same object like:
> http://www.mysite.com/section/object    	#default language
> http://www.mysite.com/french/section/object    	#french view of the site
> http://www.mysite.com/german/section/object	#german view
>

> I vote for it! :-)
>
> []s
> --
> Paulo Eduardo Neves
> PUC-Rio de Janeiro
> Pager: Central: 292-4499 cod. 213 99 64
> ou use a URL:  http://www.learn.fplf.org.br/neves/mensagempager.html

This is an interesting idea. I am currently implementing our Web
site in Zope (we use 5 different languages now, will be adding a
sixth and maybe a seventh). My solution has been to separate the
format and the content, leaving standard things like headers and
footers in the "keystone" directories (ie. www.mysite.org/Euskera/)
to be used in general. For the objects that are reapeated
(index_html), I have copied the format, and changed the content
(which is in a separate object). I have tried to make the links
relative, since we want to have all of our content repeated.

Of course, I am not sure if this is really the best way to do this,
by the way. Any suggestions would be welcome.

What exactly is the advantage of a lattice setup in this situation
(except saving on copying the templates)? How exactly would it work?
 I don't think I really understand this idea.

Thanks,

JP

JP Glutting
jpglutting@mx3.redestb.es