[Zope] - Re: [XML-SIG] RE: [Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:53:40 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 10:49:06AM -0500, Fred L. Drake wrote:

> Christopher G. Petrilli writes:
>  > So my implementation of the <?ztml ... ?> is acceptable under XML
>  > guidelines?  That was how I interpreted it, but gods only know!
>
>   (I didn't catch any of the discussion before Andrew CC'd the
> XML-SIG, so I think I'm missing some of the context here.)
>   What you probably want to do is to pass an example that uses the PI
> syntax in all situations that you intend to support (including in
> attribute values if you want that), and pass it through a validating
> parser.  If it complains, you'll know what's broken.  If it doesn't,
> then go ahead and use it.  I'd rather see PI syntax used over comment
> syntax for either SGML or XML for this sort of processing.

Well, then I'll sit down and write a test suite as soon as I get the
brainpower back from your exploding my head, and we can see what
explodes and what doesn't.  Also, I'm going to tweek the syntax since
everyone seems to want to get rid of some vestigal old pieces...

Also, I'm not sure it's intended to BE XML, more accurately it's
intended to LOOK like XML to an XML editor, the move to full XML for
this could be troublesome... for exmaple:

<?ztml in variable ?> <!-- iterate over a sequence -->
  <?ztml if sequence-start ?>
    Print something here.
  <?ztml /if ?>

  <?ztml var foo ?> <!--Print a variable from the sequence itterated -->
<?ztml /in ?>

Yes I realise that XML has it's own constructs for doing things like
this, BUT ... what I'm trying to do is create a migration path, and move
it to something that starts to LOOK like XML, so that people using
<?ztml var favorite-editor ?> can use it, and not have to worry about
the troublesome side-effects of putting logic in comment code.

Please no religious responses though :-)

Chris