[Zope] Newbie: Publishing directories

Larry Luther l.luther@acm.org
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 23:38:39 -0700

Hello,

    I am trying to understand how I could have a dhtml page
offer a link to a file on another machine via a network path.

    Given:
      * Window NT 4.0 workstation environment.
      * Zope 1.10.3 tied to IIS server via "cgi-bin".

    I've read:
      * Zope only publishes data uploaded to it.
      * That work is being done on products that
        would allow external html directories to be
        linked into Zope's html object hierarchy.
        This future solution might solve my problem
        if they allowed network path names.
      * That an external Python method could be written that
        would read the network file and offer it as
        a local object.

    I've tried:
      * "file:\\othermachine\foobar.html" (in a link)
        This works for anyone on the local network but not
        for anyone on the outside.  (I knew it wouldn't
        but offer it as an indicator of what I'm trying to do.

    Questions:
      * Is my understanding of the state of affairs correct?
      * Does IIS offer a solution?

    Thank you, Larry