[Zope] Newbie: Publishing directories

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:10:46 +0200

At 08:38 06/07/99 , Larry Luther wrote:
>Hello,
>
>     I am trying to understand how I could have a dhtml page
>offer a link to a file on another machine via a network path.
>
>     Given:
>       * Window NT 4.0 workstation environment.
>       * Zope 1.10.3 tied to IIS server via "cgi-bin".
>
>     I've read:
>       * Zope only publishes data uploaded to it.
>       * That work is being done on products that
>         would allow external html directories to be
>         linked into Zope's html object hierarchy.
>         This future solution might solve my problem
>         if they allowed network path names.
>       * That an external Python method could be written that
>         would read the network file and offer it as
>         a local object.
>
>     I've tried:
>       * "file:\\othermachine\foobar.html" (in a link)
>         This works for anyone on the local network but not
>         for anyone on the outside.  (I knew it wouldn't
>         but offer it as an indicator of what I'm trying to do.
>
>     Questions:
>       * Is my understanding of the state of affairs correct?

Yes

>       * Does IIS offer a solution?

Yes, you could create a virtual directory that maps to a directory on the
network.
Just create a virtual directory in the Management Console, and set it's
'Virtual Directory' tab to 'A share located on another computer'. Then fill
in the network path to the folder. Now you can refer to the files in that
Share by the name of the virtual directory: http://{ip address of
server}/{name of virtual dir}/foobar.html

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer