[Zope] Requirement for 2.0

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:18:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:56:05 -0700,
interrante@yahoo.com said:

interrante> However, I would like to state that for the user base to
interrante> expand significantly 2.0 needs to be very easy to install on
interrante> a hosted website (http://www.hiway.com/) .  This is where
interrante> most of the new sites are coming from (check out the
interrante> information from www.netcraft.com) People with hosted
interrante> accounts have apache and cgi and want a trivial way to set
interrante> up and get content online (Frontpage does a good job here).
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have to disagree here. Having worked at an ISP for the past 3 years I
can tell you that that MS Frontpage Extensions are a huge pain to
install and support. A real mess. For the idiot proofing the user gets,
the ISP has to bend over backwards.

interrante> Please consider this a *massive* potential audience for this
interrante> tool and build simple configuration scripts, yada, yada,
interrante> that make this a trivial task.  Comments?

I know that CodeIt and some of the other ISPs who are doing Zope hosting
are actively working on implementation issues wrt hosting multiple Zope
accounts.

But, I do think the Zope install docs should specifically address the
situation where someone wants to run zope and all they have is a user
level shell account w/ CGI access and don't know where to begin.

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA